Custom Search

Monday, April 04, 2005

Perfect Sushi Rice

I love sushi, sometimes I get on a real kick! It is so different than most of the cooking that I do, which is why I like it. This recipe for Sushi Rice, is by far the best I've made, and better than most that I've had. Any sushi lover knows that no matter how great your fish is, if your rice is not good, forget it! This is adapted from The Nobu Cookbook, which I just love! Most people use a rice cooker to make sushi rice, and they make damned good rice. When fellow cooks ask if I have a Rice Cooker, I respond, "You're lookin' at 'em!"

Sushi Rice

2 1/4 Cups Good Quality Short Grain Rice
2 1/4 Cups Water
1/2 Cup Rice Wine Vinegar (Nobu uses Red Vinegar, which is sweeter, I'm still looking for it)
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp Salt
1/2 Tbsp Mirin
5 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
1 Small Piece of Konbu (Dried Kelp) Make a few cuts in it

Wash the rice until the water is clear, about 3-4 times. Drain in a colander over a bowl for 1 hour.
For the Dressing:
Combine the salt, 1/2 of the vinegar, Sugar, and Mirin. Heat until the salt and sugar are dissolved. Remove from the heat and add the knobu. When this mixture cools, add the remaining vinegar.
For the Rice:
Add the rice and water to a 2 quart saucepan with a tight fitting lid.
*Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil 1 minute.
*Turn the heat to low for 5 minutes.
*Turn heat to high for 10 seconds.
*Remove from the heat. Let stand, covered, for 15 minutes.

Season the rice with 3 oz. of the dressing, cutting it in with a flat rubber spatula to break the clumps. Let cool, I put mine under a ceiling fan. You want to cool it as soon as possible without refrigerating it. Cover with damp paper towels, moistened with the remaining dressing. Keep at room temperature until ready to use. Never refrigerate sushi rice.

Makes about 7 cups

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home