Custom Search

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Tacos and My Shrimp Taco Recipe

There are a lot of ways to make Tacos, and the ingredients and fillings are endless. I've learned a lot about Tacos from all of my Mexican friends that I've worked with over the years. They've made me Pork Tacos, Fish Tacos, Chicken Tacos, Shrimp Tacos, and even Beef Tongue Tacos! The latter is one of the famous, lets Freak Out the Gringo recipes, my good friend Chepe is famous for this. Not that it wasn't a good Taco, and not that it isn't commonly eaten, just out of the ordinary for Gringos. They were good, but Chepe hooked me up with the fatty undercurrent of the tongue, for maximum effect! I would expect nothing less, Chepe has a great sense of humor, as well as a great sense for good food! My Mexican friends are always happy to make lunch for everyone in the kitchen, and proud as hell of the bounty they've produced!
"Here you are My Man!", with a big smile, offering up a plate of Chiliquiles, Ceviche (The Power, according to Chepe), or Tacos; Whatever the Mexican flavor of the day happens to be, always delicious! I've learned SO much from the Mexican cooks I've worked with, I can't even tell you how much!
The Tacos my Amigos have made for me involve warm raw corn Tortillas, usually cooked Pork, and these wonderful little sauces that they make! Ahh, they take next to nothing and make a perfect sauce, my favorite kind of cooking; the true mark of a good cook, Something from Nothing! Their sauces are basically this, not to over simplify their perfection and balance of flavor:

Tomatillas or Roma Tomatoes
Chunks of Onion
Garlic Cloves
A few herbs
Dried Chilis, usually Bird's Eye
Salt & Pepper To Taste

Cover these ingredients with water, boil, then reduce to a simmer for about 30 minutes. Puree in a blender or with an immersion blender. After the sauces is blended add a little, very finely diced onion, and cilantro.

Another great Taco that I've eaten was the Tropical Taco on the island of Kauai, Hawaii. Fresh fish, sour cream, lots of Avocado, the works.

Here is how I made my Shrimp Tacos the other day:

Shrimp Taco Recipe

For the Shrimp:

2 tsps Creole Seasoning, mixed with:
1/4 tsp Chili Powder
1/4 tsp Cumin

1 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
2 Tbsp Garlic
1/2 1b Medium Shrimp
Lime Wedge
1 Tbsp Chopped Cilantro
If you like heat add 1-2 Diced Chipotle Peppers (Canned, Smoked Jalapenos) Optional

Toss the Shrimp in the seasoning mix. Melt the butter over Medium-High Heat, add the Garlic and Chipotles (if using), saute for 1 minute. Add the shrimp, saute until just barely cooked through, spritz with fresh Lime juice and toss in the Cilantro. Serve immediately.

For the Tacos:

All items on the table for self assembly

4 Taco Shells (I fried my own using a need little gadget made specifically for this. 3 inches of 360 degree lard or vegetable oil, Fry until lightly Golden Brown, maybe 2 minutes. Drain.)
or use Warmed Flour Tortillas
1/2 Avocado, sliced or diced just before serving
1 Cup Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese or Queso Blanco
2 Cups Thinly Sliced Leaf Lettuce
Sour Cream
3/4 Cup Diced Tomatoes
Chipotle Hot Sauce
The Shrimp

I assemble mine: Shrimp, Cheese, Lettuce , Tomatoes, Avocados, Sour Cream, Hot Sauce.
Serve with Refritos and Mexican Style Rice, with a cold Mexican Beer, such as Dos Equis or Pacifico.

Serves 2

3 Comments:

At 10:50 PM, Blogger SantaBarbarian said...

Tacos! ;-)

 
At 2:11 AM, Blogger imari said...

nice recipe, but to make it more fantastic, and more Mexican, subsitute cabbage for the lettuce..it's awesome.

 
At 4:42 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This couldn't have come at a better time! I'm having a party this weekend and was thinking of making tacos.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home